Helen Levi- From one maker to another

Helen and her dog, Billy


I have a bit of a dangerous ceramics habit, so when I got an email out of the blue from Helen Levi, I was thrilled. Helen's been working with Steven Alan on a beautiful collection of hand-thrown ceramics. I'm in love, and I think you will be too.

Name:
Helen Levi

Website:
www.helenlevi.com

Where do you live: 
Williamsburg, Brooklyn

How did you get into ceramics, and how long have you been doing it?
I've always done ceramics as a hobby, since I was a child, but started teaching it in college and taking it more seriously after that. I've only been selling my pieces since late last year. My background is as a photographer.

Tell me a little bit about how you started working with Steven Alan:
I met Steven Alan as he was planning the opening of his home store (which opened last month) and so it was great timing! My dishes are sold at their new shop in Tribeca and also in Westport, Connecticut.


What inspires you when you're making your ceramics?
I'm inspired by old dishes, by what I want to use in my own kitchen, and also by seeing dishes made out of other materials and then trying to apply their form to clay -- like the mug you have that was inspired by metal camping dishes.


Tell me where and when you got your dog, Billy
Billy's from a shelter in Tennessee and we've been together about a year and a half.


How did you find Bryr clogs, and what do you like about them?
I saw Bryr clogs on Instagram actually! And I immediately loved the design, the rich colors, and how lightweight they looked for a clog.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I'd love to have my own studio and be doing what I'm doing now-- playing with clay.

Helen is wearing the Annabella clog in Nutmeg.

0 comments :

Post a Comment