Kim Morski: Something Blue




When fellow WASHU Art School Alum reached out to me last summer with the hopes of wearing a pair of BRYR clogs at her wedding, I was so thrilled. I'm a sucker for weddings, and the idea of someone wanting to walk down the aisle in our clogs was just too cute. I talked to her this week about what went into her DIY wedding, the art scene in St. Louis, and why she wanted to wear clogs to walk down the aisle.

Name:Kim Morski
Occupation:Artist / Stock & Assembly Assistant at Unison

Hometown:originally from Columbia, MO... now living in Chicago, IL
Website: www.kimmorski.com
Photography: All photos by K. Corea Photography


Kim wore a special pair of phoebe sandals in dusty blue on her wedding day



Isobel: We are both alumni of Washington University Sam Fox School of Art. I left St. Louis many years ago, but it seems like St. Louis has a burgeoning art scene. Can you talk a little about what going on there?

Kim: I have really missed the art scene since I've moved from St. Louis. You see a lot of experimentation and community involvement there. The city is very inexpensive, allowing emerging artists to take chances and be ambitious. Two of my favorite projects are the Pruitt Igoe Bee Sanctuary and the The Northside Workshop, started by Artist/Activist Juan William Chavez in Old North St. Louis. (He received a Guggenheim grant for the projects.... HELLO!) Juan and the Director of Programming, Kiersten Torrez organize workshops for local youth to learn bee keeping, gardening, and art. They focus on re-utilizing vacant urban space. I admire the longevity of their plan and their desire to listen to the needs of the neighborhood. On the south side of town you have Cherokee Street, packed with non-profit contemporary art spaces and incubators, print shops, Mexican restaurants and bakeries (my favorite is Latino Americana), and antique/vintage stores. Cherokee Street is home to Fort Gondo, beverly, Luminary Center for the Arts, Paper Boat Studios, STL Style, and Firecracker Press. Also on the south side is Perennial, a community workshop started by our fellow Sam Fox School Alumna, Jenny Murphy. Perennial offers educational programming in creative reuse to diverse populations and promotes sustainability throughout the community. I also just found out today that my friend and fellow printmaker Angela Malchionno (@onnonails) is opening up a nail art studio in Tower Grove! The city's art institutions, the St. Louis Art Museum, Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, and its neighbor, the Contemporary Art Museum have interesting educational programs, community engagement, and fantastic shows (two of my favorites at the Pulitzer were Ann Hamilton and Gordon Matta-Clark). The Great Rivers Biennial is about to open on May 9, and I cannot wait to see the new work by Brandon Anschultz, Carlie Trosclaire, and Cayce Zavaglia. 

All the kids carried hand-made signs



Isobel: When you originally reached out to me last Spring about the clogs you wanted to wear, you described your wedding as a DIY group effort. Can you talk a little about some of the design/art projects that you had for your wedding? 



Kim: We had so much help from friends and family! The space where we were married, the Tower Grove Abbey, is actually a church-turned-theater space. They rent it out and let you do whatever you want. We wanted the vibe to be handmade, warm, and festive. My brother made signage for outside. My mom and girlfriends helped me make hundreds of feet of bunting (some of which I painted with a design to match the lace on my dress.... totally unnecessary) and floral garlands. My mom, who has supernatural power in the kitchen, made all of the food! YES. At one point she called to tell me she had decided to make handmade crackers. I protested, but she was insistent. They were delicious! She also made lavender caramels as favors for all of the guests.

Kim designed and made the invitations herself with help of her husband and Paper Boat Studios


Since I am a printmaker, I designed and printed the wedding invitations (with the help of my husband and Amy of Paper Boat Studios), and I screen printed family banners for the ceremony. Jessica, my maid of honor, helped me make little boutonnieres and hair pieces for the kids in the wedding (we had a brigade of our 13 nieces and nephews). My friend Elisabeth made our gorgeous bouquets, and for the decor we used dried flowers and arrangements from Trader Joe's. My mom and cousins helped me collect vintage vases. I ended up making my own vintage lace garter, just for fun.

My friends Eve and Ted delivered Word's Fair donuts and Gus's pretzels to the reception. The day before the wedding, our friends and family showed up, and we decorated the whole church. After the wedding, our friends and family broke down the whole place and cleaned it up in an hour! The venue owner said he had never seen anything like it. He really thought we were crazy. I never could have imagined how beautiful and perfect the day would be. It was all worth the hard work!
Handmade desserts and local donuts






Isobel: I loved the art-community work you did on Cherokee street (my old hood!), combining food with printmaking. Did you serve any printed wedding snacks?


KimThank you! This was definitely discussed. Prior to the Cherokee Street taco project, I did a project called FRESH BREAD, where I printed on flatbread. It was a collaboration with my mom. The project was centered around the concept of covenantal relations, I had always thought about incorporating it into communion for the wedding. I pictured myself very ceremoniously printing some kind of covenantal pact on the bread and eating it with Jim during the ceremony. Several people also suggested having the edible bread prints at the reception. In the end, we decided it was too complicated and probably would have been confusing for our guests. It has very specific meaning and context for me, and I didn't want it to turn into a cutesy wedding decoration.



Isobel: I've loved the idea of the wedding clog for a while now, which was why I was so excited when you reached out to me last Spring. Why did you gravitate towards a clog for your wedding shoe?
Kim: My first thought about wedding shoes was that I did not want anything white. I wanted shoes that were comfortable, well made, and striking. Honestly, I think the clogs were Georgia's idea! Georgia is the Associate Dean of Students for the Sam Fox School at Washington University. She was my boss for three years after I graduated. When you first started your Creative Sabbatical blog, Georgia sent it to me.  Every time you posted a new color or style on your Bryr facebook page, Georgia would yell at me from her office, "KIM, COME SEE ISOBEL'S NEW SHOES!" One day while we were drooling over the clogs, we realized they would be perfect for the wedding. They are classy and feminine, yet relaxed. 
The Phoebe clogs are perfect. I couldn't resist wearing them early for our engagement photos. Oh, and they were my "something blue"!


0 comments :

Post a Comment